Monday, March 2, 2009

Robin Hood 2000

I've always liked the idea of robbing the rich to give to the poor.

As far as I can remember, Robin Hood has been one of my heroes. This amazing piece of English folklore, still alive and well today, gives us a frightening view on the persistence of the gap between the rich and the poor and the ideas that it inspires.

In Montreal today, it is possible to participate in Robin Hood's legacy by eating at Robin des Bois, a nice restaurant that was established by two ladies to fund community organizations. Profits go to six organizations that help the poor in the broad sense of the word: women, youth, disabled people and drug addicts.



It is possible to volunteer at Robin des Bois. When I sat down, my waitress immediately announced: "My name is France. I'm a volunteer here tonight. This is my first experience serving tables." France was great. She was simply doing it for fun. For the whole evening, she served clients calmly, smiling constantly, with a natural sense of care.

Then when comes the time to pay, Robin des Bois does not accept tips. Instead, you are invited to make a donation for an equivalent amount.

This restaurant is a great idea. Definitely a place to discover. And did I say that the food was excellent? The food was excellent.

1 comment:

  1. Mais quelle idée géniale!! Merci Seb de la partager avec nous.

    ReplyDelete